The Forecast to all Auckland region was no wind, the only two places Little Fluffy Cloud was showing some wind were on Tapora and Manukau Harbour. I really want kitesurf on Manukau Harbour, but because I never kitesurf there I thought will be to risk go there try to find a spot in a marginal day, because that we decided go to Tapora, I have been there 2 times and I know what I can expected from there.
I sent a message to a bunch of friends inviting them to come along, but only Bruno and Jessyka was able to joint us. Bruno is a good kitesufer and have been in Tapora with me before, Jessyka is learning.
The idea was go there to have fun, bring a lot of toys like SUP, frescobol, Frisbee, games and of course kite gear. If the wind show up we can kitesurf.
The high tide was about 1pm we get there more or less around it, the wind was already there, light but enough to have fun. After we settle down and eat we pumped the kites and started the fun. I pumped my 12 meters Dice with the surfboard and Bruno a 13 meter Cabrinha with twin-tip.
The conditions was not perfect, the wind was light and go upwind was not that easy with the tide going down, but was enough for get some height and play a bit.
& nbsp; I was trying to learn the jibe. I did 2, one more or less and other very good, I realize it is easier with the wind a little strong, because if the wind is not strong it is difficult to take the weight off the surfboard. I sailed a few times toe-side, but I was losing to much height.
I made two big mistakes. The wind was SW and we were sailing more or less 90 degree from the boat ramp, my easy jibe side was the outside, far from land and my weak close to land, one of the time I came to try the jibe, close to land, my front foot slid on the surfboard and I fell, I lost control and the kite fell in the grass close to the boat ramp. Didn't happen anything with the kite neither with my wife and Jessyka who were there, It was going to be much worse if the kite struck one of the boat trailers that were there or someone. The second mistake happen when I was sailing out and the wind start to get light, I decided to keep going until it get a bit strong for I have more chance to do the jibe right, but I sailed to much and was kitsurfing in the channel, tide going down, pulling out and in the channel the current is more strong. I tried the jibe, I fell and the kite fell in the water but not in the normal position, it was with the leading edge up and the wind was not strong to fly the kite. I tried to pull the 2 front lines, but I was going faster than the kite, the lines was slack, I started to be worried were I will stop because I have no control. I knew if I could swim to a sand bank the other side of the channel I could walk back, I tried swim but was not easy with the current, but suddenly a gust came and start to inflate the kite, I pulled the front line, very hard a couple of times and the kite flew, was a relieve, I waterstart and sailed direct to the sand bank. After that I could walk my way back to the boat ramp.
Bruno was training jump, he did a few very good and one back-roll, I thought to try the twin-tip but I think I will be struggling to go upwind. I think the dice is better on high end than the low end.
We kitesurf for about 1,5 hours and the tide start to going down, time to stop.